Monday, April 21, 2008

The Infamous Runners High

They so that you should journal after you run so that when you're trying to motivate yourself out the door for the next run you have the encouragement you need in remembering your last run. That's what this post is about - the runners high - the reason I love to run! Today was an extremely stressful day for me. This week we have our final walk-through on our new house, we meet with the title agency to sign the closing paperwork, I have an eight-page term paper to write, an Africa team meeting to plan, big work projects to set in action, a house to start packing, etc. I woke up at 5:00 this morning with my shoulders so tense I had to remind myself to lower them from their seemingly permanent position at my ears. With all this I get paralyzed in a sense, unable to accomplish anything. So I stalled all day, running silly errands, wasting time. I really wanted to run. But I was afraid that I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't run well. I haven't run in at least two weeks, I've really missed it! Finally, at 6:30 pm with the sun setting I couldn't stall any longer so I laced up the running shoes and set out with the dog for my run. I set my watch for a twenty minute alarm, found the only hills in the neighborhood and took off. I conquered the big hill with a great sense of satisfaction recovering on the downhill. On the return trip I decided to push a little harder determining to run so hard that I had nothing left when I returned home. My stride felt like I was gliding along the pavement. Instead of trudging just trying to put one foot in front of the other I was flying. (Not fast, but smooth with air under my feet). And my shoulders were relaxed, arms at a 90 degree angle at my side, fingers loose. And my mind was free, not able to focus on anything but my breathing, my steps, my stride. So, all in all I ran 3.5 miles in 40 minutes an 11:26 minute per mile pace. My best pace was under ten minutes per mile - that must have been when I felt like I was flying. :) When I got home it was euphoria, the peaceful feeling of the runners high. I am so glad that I set a time limit on my run and that I pushed myself to run hard. I want to run tomorrow, will I push myself through the mental game to lace up the running shoes? Maybe this story will help. Maybe your comments will help. :) Happy Running!

2 comments:

Kandy said...

YAY for you!! I am so proud of you. You motivated me to go running today, that is if I can wake up--I am EXHAUSTED from working the past two nights, and I may work tonight again. Well anyway, RUN TODAY!! You will feel GREAT!!! I expect to hear tomorrow that you ran! Love you!!

kellyjyoung said...

Kandy, thank you for your encouragement. I did run today. 3.00 miles in 34:52 minutes. Avg. Pace 11:37/mi. Great run. Today I set a new route to follow and didn't worry about how far or how fast I was going. It included three hills right in a row - pretty tough. I could feel the muscles in my legs - now that's a good feeling. I'm glad I ran today. I was able to come home and write four pages of notes for my term paper! YEAH!