Barak is a Hebrew word meaning "to bless, literally, to kneel" according to "Synonyms of the Old Testament by Rev. Robert Baker Girdlestone from Eerdmans Publishing. Another Bible dictionary defines it this way - "to bless God - Adore with bended knees."
Today I read in Nehemiah 8:6 that "Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God....and they [the people] bowed their heads and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground." I also read 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 this morning about being one body in Christ and Jane Williams wrote this commentary, "Instead of thinking always about themselves and their individual needs and rights, instead of always battling to be the most important and gifted person in any gathering, the Corinthians have to learn to think of themselves as one entity, one body, whose health and very life depends upon co-operation and connection."
On Sunday, before I even read these verses, this question was raised in my spirit: "What are you bending your knee for?" In other words, to what do you submit. I was humbled to confess that I have not recently bent my knees in service to another with a submissive or sacrificial spirit. Some of the things to which I submit that came to mind on Sunday include food, sleep, appearance, emotions.
Then I had to consider what things am I not bending my knee for that I should? Holiness, my husband, accountability, my friends all came to mind.
I need to barak - to kneel before God.
May it be said of us that we bless God.

No comments:
Post a Comment