I would love to see what kind of race I would run with a long training period and an appropriately short taper.
My next 1/2 marathon is likely the PF Chang Rock & Roll in Phoenix next January (unless you tell me about another one in September/October).
This was by far the most fun racing I've had by myself. (Running with friends is a different category!) It was beautiful weather, just perfect for a run. I was energized by a mocha latte right before the race. I started towards the back of the pack committed to starting out at an appropriate pace. I ran up the first hill and kept a 'good' (for me) pace up all the other hills. The whole way there were about 6 or 8 people who I kept up with. Two people with a sign on their backs advertising a coffee shop. Two ladies from Prescott running their first 1/2 marathon (on a whim, with no training). A man and woman who seemed to be committed to sticking together for the whole race, until the woman took off just before the turn-around. A few girls running solo. And a few other people that kept changing places throughout. It was comfortable being with these people who kept a healthy run-walk rhythm up the hills. I am so grateful to my training partner - Danalyn - who gave me a bunch of good leg workouts. Between running uphill on the treadmills, climbing "Jacob's Ladder", and lifting weights my legs were much better prepared for climbing the hills. My training on my mountain helped a lot too -- every run before my race (after Ragnar) was at 'my' mountain -- I would walk up and run down. This training helped prepare me for the downhill half of the race. I sped down the hills at break-neck speeds, clocking a 6:30/minute per mile pace at one point!
My chip time was 2:42:23. My average pace was 12:36/mi though I had a 12 minute negative split, running uphill at a 13:29/mi pace and back down the hill at an 11:42/mi pace. According to my Garmin Forerunner we went from 5270 foot elevation to 6290 over 6.5 miles and back down.
After the race I walked around a bit, stood and stretched, and then sat down to stretch. When I went to stand up both of my calf muscles balled up into massive cramps. My friend Amanda, who was my designated driver for this crazy adventure, had to catch me and hold me up while I tried to work it out. I am so grateful for her! She was my cheering section for the race and put up with my napping on the way home. Due to the leg cramps, for the first time after a race I went to see the massage therapists in the tents at the finish line. I think that saved me for the 2-hour drive home.
While I was on the massage-table Kristy and Daisy arrived! They joined us for a post-race lunch of pulled pork (in defiance of 'swine flu' and because I was craving it for a week). I am so glad that Kristy was there when this was all done since she is the one who got me running in the first place years ago suggesting we run this crazy race called "Whiskey Row."
Daisy enjoyed playing with my medal which reads "I'm tough enough." And yes, I am tough enough to run Whisky Row three times and hopefully many times more!
Here are some pictures from the Whiskey Row 1/2 Marathon.

2 comments:
Congrats Kelly!! I am so proud of your running and running those hills... I still hate them and they are everyone here in Cape Town... I should learn to embrace them like you :) Now you can just run for fun until the next big race, but to be honest I find it more fun to run when there is a race to run for.
So proud of you sister!!! You look GREAT!! Love the hair, even though you say it didn't look good, i think you looked really cute! Your post is great!!!
Post a Comment