Monday, September 21, 2009

Hard of Hearing

Recently I have been journeying with some friends via conversations, prayer, studying the Scripture, and seeking God's leadership in our lives about our city and our presence. Our journey led us to chapter 29 in the book of Jeremiah about Israel's exile to Babylon. We've centered our conversations around the Lord's instruction to His people in Jer. 29:7 -"Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare." We've been considering how we bring hope and healing to the dark and hurting places around us.


This past week we were discussing Jer. 32:22 - "They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen or respond to discipline." We were talking about repentance - choosing to yield to God and follow His leadership.


Sunday evening at Crash, Maxie Burch spoke of the story of Daniel, a participant in that exile that Jeremiah writes about. He concluded by asking us to consider where is our Babylon and who are the Babylonians in our life. Interesting question considering the journey I've been on with my friends, but still I didn't get the connection. Until tonight.


I have been looking forward to this evening for at least a week, anticipating an evening with no agenda, just time for me to relax and pull myself together. All day long I fought against the pain of the brokenness I feel - the agony of the not-yet reality of the Kingdom of God. So I was greatly relieved to escape that reality a little in the sanctuary of my house. I wanted this space and time to be for me to regain some strength.


Instead, at the end of the day, I sensed the urging of the Spirit leading me to step out in my weakness and brokenness and serve Him. In this place where God's kingdom is not yet fully realized God was calling me to seek the welfare of the place He has sent me. But I wanted to be served tonight. I needed to put my feet up. So I ignored the Spirit and sadly, physically, I turned my back to the opportunity to serve and walked away. Right then I heard it: They turned their backs to me and not their faces.


God has been trying to teach me and I did not listen. Despite all the conversations, I've somehow neglected the truth that as a citizen of the Kingdom of God, temporarily displaced like Israel in Babylon, I am commanded to seek the welfare of this city. This command does not require my health and prosperity first before I can serve. I am to serve now, no matter how broken and weak I feel in the moment, for God may actually choose to bring me wholeness and healing through the healing of my city. "For in its welfare you will find welfare." May those who have ears to hear listen.


May this humble confession be a reminder to me and an encouragement to you.

Shalom

2 comments:

Kandy said...

WOW!! Thanks for your honesty Kelly. I love you!

Tracy said...

I love this, Kelly. I have been there, and I am grateful to have these words to explain it. Keep offering up more of your good truths. I love to hear them!