Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How are we responding to the financial crunch?

A friend recently raised the question about our choices in responding to difficult situations: Will we respond with fear or hope? Here is a powerful story of a woman who chose hope:

Check out this 7-minute video at TED. Click on this link: From a Nairobi Slum, a Tale of Hope

Stories like this are why I am so grateful to partner with Northrise University in Zambia, Africa: empowering the people of Zambia, one student at a time.

For the last six months I have been contributing a small amount to a scholarship for Alice, a woman I met when I went to Zambia this past summer. Alice, like me, is working on a theology degree. Here in the US, I am sponsored by a scholarship to work on my Master's Degree, it is such an honor to offer a portion of a scholarship, in turn, for Alice to work on her degree across the globe. Alice will graduate this May with her bachelor's degree. She has already been serving God in Ndola while she went to school, ministering to many women in Ndola - offering the hope that she has to those around her - and in a small way, I helped! As an act of hope, I am making plans to increase my contribution to Northrise University in the weeks ahead. I wonder if you might pray with me about how you can respond to this financial crunch with hope, rather than fear.

No comments: