But, I am not alone in this confession. I have heard many others sigh in disgust as we're told to 'store up treasures in heaven.' Not so much because we're more interested in treasures on earth, but because we're not really interested in heaven. (And that verse, Matt. 6:19, is most often taken out of context and misapplied, but that's a whole different conversation.)
Today I read a passage from Philippians that troubled me at first, then gave me victory! (Phil. 3:17-4:1) The verse that troubled me the most was this: "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." (vs. 20) At first glance I read this: Our citizenship is in heaven. period. end of story. get over planet earth. you're not supposed to be here. But that is not what it truly says.
Our citizenship is in heaven because that is where Jesus comes from! The passage does not even go on to say that eventually we will all live in heaven (I personally prefer the thought that eternity consists of a new heaven and a new earth - and I'll live in the new earth (rev. 21:1)) Rather, Jesus who lives in heaven, will transform our bodies to conform to His glorious body. Praise God!
Now that's exciting and worth talking about! It's about JESUS not about heaven! It's about TRANSFORMATION not about fleeing planet earth. So, those of you who are so eagerly awaiting heaven, we can both agree and praise God that ...
"Our citizenship is in heaven from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it might be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved."

No comments:
Post a Comment