Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Avoiding What's Good

This morning I ran 2 miles. The first running I've done in ten days. I love to run! I realize that some people experience it as a chore ~ a necessary part of a sport or an effective way to stay fit. But I am one of those people who actually enjoy the experience of running. That said, this morning I was struck by how much I resist and avoid what is good. Every day last week I woke up and thought to myself, "I want to go running." Immediately though, I rolled over in bed and went back to sleep. No good reason, no legitimate excuse, in fact, no desire to even invent an excuse for not running. But there I slept, each morning all week avoiding the good experience of running.
Now don't get me wrong, running hurts! As I set out this morning with the goal of covering 2 miles (to keep up with my running partner, Danalyn, who ran 2 miles last night) I gave it all I had. At about .5 miles I got very thirsty (no need to bring water on a short-run) and about 1.5 miles into it my knee started to bug me. When I got home a little wave of nausea hit me as I tried to cool down. So, it wasn't all fun and games. It's hard work and it feels that way. But, it's fun! I enjoy it! And I'm not saying that to convince myself, but those of you who doubt that running is fun ~ running is good!
So why do I avoid it?
Running is not the only good thing that I avoid. Recently I have become aware of how I avoid good relationships and God's Truth in those relationships. Throughout the years God has blessed me with dear friends who are willing to speak God's Truth into my life and call out in me God's image (and allow me to do the same for them). These friends are a gift, a treasure, whose value is inexpressible. Sadly, I find that I often avoid them or at least I try to avoid the Truth that they may have for me. They are good. The Truth is good. Now don't get me wrong, it sometimes hurts! Their love, their concern, their encouragement often requires of me to address difficult things in my life that I'd rather ignore. Many times they bring me out of a false reality I've created for myself and invite me back into the reality of God's Kingdom, which is good!
So why do I avoid it?
I'm not sure of the answer to that question, but it is one I will consider throughout the day and the days to come. And maybe, as I keep that question before me I will remember the good instead of the hurt and choose to run. More importantly I will turn towards the Lord as I don't turn my back on my friends.
"Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
2 Corinthians 3: 15-18
(read all of chapter 3 and 4 for context)

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I love ya', kelly girl. I had such a good visit with you over coffee. I see you are still thinking about it...

TJK

Scott and Katie said...

Kelly,
I can totally relate to this phenomenon! I desire to do what is healthy and right too, and yet...!!! What is that?! That block? That psych-out I do to myself? ugh. "...even youths will become faint and grow weary..." eh? but the good news is!...they that hope in the Lord will renew their strength! Yay for the promises of our Lord! :) Love you tons my sister! :)