This book provides three Scripture references, (typically one from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament, and one from the Gospels) for each week followed by Jane Williams' thoughts on these verses. I use these same three Scripture verses all week long for my devotional time; daily reflecting on them, oftentimes reading them in fuller context (reading the whole chapter or book) or choosing to memorize a verse from within the passages.
This year, 2010, I am joining my church family in a "Year in the Scriptures" where we are reading together through the entire Bible in a year. We'll read daily from the Old Testament, New Testament, and Psalms/Proverbs. We're using a website that syncs with my iTouch as well as my iGoogle homepage for easy access and reminders. It's called "YouVersion.com" and we're following the Robert Roberts plan. Here are our instructions to our church family for how to participate.
I am particularly excited about this "Year in the Scriptures" for a variety of reasons:
1. I remember with great excitement my experiences in the past of reading through the Bible. These were rich days in my spiritual development.
2. I love the Scriptures, there is so much in them that we typically miss (or avoid!) when we're just randomly picking passages to read. The stories in the Bible are amazing, and they reveal so much of Who God is and how much He loves us. We get to know God so much better in reading the fullness of Scripture.
3. In times past I've read through the Bible on my own, alone. This year I'll be doing it with my faith community. I am very excited about this community aspect; the fellowship of reading the same Scripture passages every day. I look forward to the conversations, the laughter about crazy stories in the Bible, the amazement of God's revelation to us, and the transformation that God alone can do in our lives and in our church community.
A Word of Caution: In high school I learned that I can get caught up in legalism and be in bondage to a schedule very easily. In an effort to follow a reading plan or meet a goal, I very easily turn the process into a to-do list, a perfunctory activity with little meaning. I can become overwhelmed with guilt when I fall behind schedule or even miss one reading. So, I determined then not to do that again, not to be in bondage to a schedule. It is with that understanding of my weaknesses that I approach this Year in the Scriptures with caution. I believe in discipline, in spiritual disciplines. Last year was a huge lesson in discipline - this is partly why I've been running so much more lately, to practice self-discipline. So, I want to be disciplined in reading daily from the Scripture, I want to be held accountable by my faith community for that. But I don't want to do it apart from my relationship with God. Spiritual disciplines are useless when they are disconnected from our relationship with God. Sure there will be days when the Scriptures fall on deaf ears - and in those days I need to ask God to open my ears and point out whatever sin is distancing me from Him - or days when the Scriptures seem dead - though in my experience most often the Scriptures are alive and useful for each day!
2010 begins tomorrow. I'll begin the Read Through the Bible plan by reading Gen. 1 & 2, Psalm 1 & 2, and Matthew 1 & 2. For the lectionary, this week I'm reading 1 Samuel 2:18-26, Colossians 3:12-17, and Luke 2:41-52.
May I invite you to join me in a Year in the Scriptures?

No comments:
Post a Comment