Monday, February 8, 2010

God's Voice Brings Laughter

Before I tell you this story I want to share my sentiments on a statement that I read this morning. Here's the quote: "If God spoke directly to people, then preachers could retire. As it is, God's reticence is the problem that clergy are hired to address." (Barbara Brown Taylor, When God is Silent - disclaimer: This statement was in the intro & I haven't finished the book) I heartily disagree with this idea that God doesn't talk to us 'regular' folks. In fact, as a minister, in my interactions with others I depend on God's speaking into all of our lives for transformation of our lives and our community. That said.
God made me laugh today and I want to share my joy with you.
As you may have read in my last post, my faith community is reading through the whole Bible together this year. A couple of days ago I read this verse: "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14, NIV) As it was in the middle of my reading for the day it gave me pause and I reread it and breathed it in but kept going to finish the rest of my readings. I came back to it later in the day and asked God if I could claim that as a word for me. For the last couple of days I've treasured that verse.
God is fighting for me. God is fighting my battles for me. There are some battles in my life I've been trying to fight on my own for a very long time. It's so comforting to hear God say I've got this one now - I'll fight this battle for you, you only need to be still. "Still" translated into my heart as peace, as a deep breath, as hope. I don't have to keep anguishing. I can rest.
Today, I remembered that verse and I thought I'd look it up in a different translation. This is where God made me laugh. Here are some other translations of that verse:
"The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent." (NASB)
"God will fight the battle for you.
And you? You keep your mouths shut!" (The Message)
Of course that's what it says! (Big smile and laughing out loud!)
The context of the verse is in the Israelite's complaining in the desert right after the miraculous exodus from Egypt. (Before the Red Sea experience) They were panicking, they said "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us out of Egypt?...It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!" (Ex. 14:11 & 12)
I sure can relate to that panic. God is clearly leading, but at each moment of pain or difficulty I doubt it. And through Moses I hear, "God's got this! Stop complaining. Just be quiet, be still." (my paraphrase) I have to laugh out loud as I hear God telling me just be quiet, calm down, don't whine, I'm fighting this one.
Interestingly enough, just a few verses earlier we read this about God's care for the Israelites in the Exodus: "When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." (Ex. 13:17) He also explains the purpose of the confrontation with Pharaoh at the Red Sea this way, "Then the Lord said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon. Pharaoh will think, 'The Israelites are wandering around the land in confusion, hemmed in by the desert.' And I [God] will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue them. But I [God] will gain glory for myself through Pharoah and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD." So the Israelites did this." (Ex. 14:1-4)
So, I laugh, and I "consider it pure joy when I face trials of many kinds" so that I can experience shalom, being made "mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4).
May God cause you to laugh out loud as you hear His voice to you today. You can hear God's voice directly. You don't have to wait for the sermon on Sunday to hear from God. May He bring joy to you in the middle of life's trials as He works His shalom in our experience.

PS. Check out this video: http://vimeo.com/3829682 I don't think I have the problem this poem describes. :) LOL!

No comments: