Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Powerful Contrast


The comparison of the gods of Babylon to the God of Israel in Isaiah 46 struck me as powerful and I thought I'd share my pondering.
46:1 Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low; their idols are borne by beasts of burden. The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary. 2 They stoop and bow down together; unable to rescue the burden, they themselves go off into captivity. 3 “Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. 4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. The Holy Bible : New International Version, electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996), Is 46:1–4.
The things that we elevate as more significant than our relationship with God quickly become a burden to us to carry. In the position of caring for these idols we become weary. This gives me pause to consider what idols am I carting around, thinking that these things will save me?
And then there's the Truth of Who God is and His great love for us. The One True God carries me! This should make me stop to consider my relationship with God. Do I treat God like I do the idols in my life - desperately trying to move Him around from place to place to get a better view of my needs instead of resting at the throne of God, trusting Him in His ultimate understanding to uphold me through the difficulties?

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
image of idols being carried out in captivity courtesy of Logos Bible Software, 1000 Images
image of the statue of Nebo courtesy of Logos Bible Software -
James M. Freeman and Harold J. Chadwick, Manners & Customs of the Bible, Rev. ed.]. (North Brunswick, NJ: Bridge-Logos Publishers, 1998), 363.

No comments: