Thursday, February 14, 2008

Running & Stretching

For the last three weeks I've been intentionally increasing my long-run each week.  On Mondays I run to increase my endurance.  Most of the time my hubby goes with me riding his bike along side.  I also take our dog, Stanley, for some exercise.  So, three weeks ago it was 6.25 miles, then 7.25 miles, then last week we ran 7.50 miles.  Our friends Liz (running) and Jeremy (riding) joined us too (Stanley couldn't come, he misbehaved at the last minute and got kenneled).  This run was the most difficult run I've had in about 9 months. (My half-marathon last year was worse.)  Everything that could feel bad did.  And I got grumpy about it.  I wanted to run hard, fast, and visit with Liz.  She's faster and in better shape than me so it was tough to keep up.  We ended up having to walk/run the last mile to make it home! I was so sick after the run that I couldn't bend over to stretch my legs.  All I could do was take a cold shower hoping it would help my legs recover faster despite not stretching.  The next day my legs were tired because I didn't stretch, so when I ran again on Wednesday I made sure to stretch before and after! Today I feel great!
So, what's the point of this story?  Well, if you'll notice in my profile my favorite personal descriptor is "I am a runner" because running brings out the best or worst in me.  My life right now is being stretched so much right now.  
I am being stretched in regards to my Africa trip: While I was running the 7.5 miles I was struck with fear about not being able to finish the marathon I'm running in May.  I am also fearful about the trip to Africa.  I made it for about three months without fearing this trip, but once again the concern surfaces.  
I am being stretched in regards to my life in Christ:  God is leading me on a journey to life transformation.  I have asked God to truly change my life so that I will focus on sharing the love of God with those whom He loves.  To make me love and be genuinely concerned for those who don't have a relationship with God.  To change my life so that I live intentionally involved in relationships for the purpose of sharing Christ with people I love and even like!  I'm not going on this journey alone.  God motivated me to ask others to join me.  Next week we meet for the first time.  I'll keep you posted on the journey.
There it is, I am a runner and I am being stretched.

3 comments:

Kandy said...

I love it!! Thanks for creating this. I will read and enjoy it as often as you post. I already added it to my igoogle page. I love you. You are an inspiration! Wish it were warm enough to run out here. But it's like 2 degrees before the windchill. So, I sit inside.

Kandy said...

Where is the link to your facebook? I don't have that.

kellyjyoung said...

Kandy, I added the link to Facebook. Thanks for asking about that! It's on the top-left of my blog page now.