This morning I met the ladies at the Impact Ndola Women's Conference. Our theme was "Living the Forgiven Life." We heard from Patty Cheatham, from Phoenix AZ, today about the Prodigal Son. The ladies in my group from all over Ndola, representing about 10 churches: Tantinne is a deaconess, Alice is a Pastor's wife, Charity is a church admin, Jecymore is a church treasurer, Ruthby is a church secretary, Unice is a church treasurer, Violet is an overseer, Beatrice is a deaconess, Brenda is a church member, Ruth is a worship leader and sunday school teacher, Justina and Judith joined us on Wednesday, Prisca also joined us on Wednesday and she is also a Pastor's wife. Everyone in my group is married and all but two of us have children. Ruth, the worship leader, is only 22 years old and she is engaged to be married. I loved getting to know the ladies in my group. I have so much respect for them!
Here's my journal entry on Tuesday evening after the conference...
Oh how they pray! Wow! In the simple act of prayer I sensed the mighty omnipresence and omniscience of God. We stood, held hands, and sang, oh how they sing, and then they prayed: all at once loudly, passionately, with voice and body, talking to God for Him to hear not for each other, in many languages. Wow, that God can hear them each and understand them all and minister one by one. Our God is amazing. And then I closed, affirming their requests as they asked me to, and then we all said amen and we clapped. Praise God!
It's funny to me, that I am reminded in this experience of the Yada Yada Prayer Group. May we experience the bonding and friendship in this women's group as they did.
I wonder why in the States our Women's Conferences are so complex. I don't enjoy them actually. But this, so simple, seems sufficient. We worshipped in singing and dancing, we prayed, we listened to the teaching of God's Word, we talked in small groups, we ate, we worshipped and listened and talked and prayed and then we left. Why does there have to be 20 seminars to choose from and fours how-to lectures to attend? Why don't we talk? Why don't we pray?
Today I struggled with the language barrier and maybe the first day jitters. I also struggled with not knowing their religious culture. Today I wondered: Do they memorize Scripture? Do they confess one to another? Do they read easily? Do they know the Bible well? So far in my limited time with them I got the sense that they don't memorize. I am concerned that they don't confess and that my confessions (stories) are unnerving or unsettling. They read (if they can see) but they struggle with the language. They know the stories, but don't find passages quickly. (NOTE: These perceptions were all changed by lunch on Wednesday)
At diner I found out that the Building Team mixed 120 wheel barrows full of concrete for a building foundation at the farm. They also dug 100 banana tree holes with a pick ax.
The VBS team at MacKenzi had about 100 more kids than they expected. Kids from all over the community, not just at the orphanage came for the excitement.
The Men's Ministry had about 60 men, quite a few less than they had anticipated. Our Women's Conference had over 100 people, a great showing. Ruth said she was going to call her friends and tell them they should come tomorrow because the conference is very good.
The Medical Team mostly observed today, the Doctors helped out a little. Linda found the Ultra Sound Machine and is getting ready for some training. (She is a tech in the US) Melissa is preparing for a presentation on Thursday. They are both excited about their opportunities.
We didn't play games after dinner tonight. Everyone's pretty tired.
Here's a picture of my small group:

No comments:
Post a Comment