Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reluctant Journey Inward

Sunday, June 30th - Northrise University, Ndola, Zambia
I went for a 2 mile run today (11:20 minutes per mile) with Jamie, Melissa, Danny, Lindsy, and Adam. It was a good run, smelly though. :) The city is pretty dirty, at least the streets we were on. I enjoyed the run. The toughest part was climbing the stairs to the sixth floor (fifth in Zambia) to my room. :)

Breakfast was good. My favorite was the grilled tomato - yum! It's just about dinner time now and this morning seems like it was days ago.

We worshipped at Northrise University, which is right across the street from our hotel. Their choir led us in worship - glory to God. The choir consisted of about about twelve students with amazing voices and they sang accompanied by an electric keyboard. We sang songs in English, ones that we were familiar with, and they sang a couple of local songs in the local language, Bimba. Moffatt Zimba prepared us for communion and we broke bread together. I really enjoyed his sermon and it was very helpful to prepare for both taking communion together and for serving in ministry together all week.

They asked for volunteers to help with kitchen duty after the service. I don't want to help. I guess I am struggling with my attitude. I am pretty tired tonight even though I slept all day.



Moffat Zimba with my friend Lisa Addeo (from CA) (Photo courtesy of Danny Ortega)

Meal time at Northrise University: (photos courtesy of Danny Ortega)

(Robin, me, Beki (standing), Jamie, Karyn)


My running partners (Lindsy & Adam (engaged), Melissa & Danny Estavillo)


Sunset from my room at the Savoy (lots of smoke in the air)

1 comment:

Scott and Katie said...

Kelly!

Thanks for posting your reflections! It sounds like you had an amazing and challenging trip. I love you so much! And I am enjoying seeing pictures of your experience there as well as reading your heart! Can't wait for more! With much love, Katie