Monday, June 30th, 2008, Ndola, Zambia, Africa
We just finished visiting Mapalo and MacKenzi schools. I've enjoyed meeting Boyd, Kambole, Choongo on the bus. (Students at Northrise University) Choongo grew up in Northrise, Ndola. Kambole was born in Lusaka and moved to Zimbabwe when her mom died, then when she finished school she moved to Ndola. Boyd grew up in Ndola. Choonga and Kambole told me about local culture, movies, music, cell phones, concerts, dress. Boyd told me about the way people live in the MacKenzi community pointing out sugar cane, beer (4% proof), maize (how to make it and eat it). Boyd and I exchanged info about our cultures related to animals/pets. He taught me how to say 'hello' and 'fine' in Bimba - the traditional greeting. Mulishani, (hello) and Bwino (fine). As I was trying it out he told me not to say it in English. LOL! :)
MacKenzi is very near an affluent neighborhood. It's poverty is stark in contrast. The kids sang for us and they were very energetic. Choonga, Kambole, and Boyd are excited that I can go to Livingstone.
Mapalo is a poorer neighborhood. (Later I learned that in this tiny community there are over 10,000 homeless children). I played ball (plastic bags all wrapped up tightly) with three girls. We hugged. I took pictures of some of the kids and showed them to them. They are beautiful.
Enjoy these pictures courtesy of Danny Ortega. (My camera battery was almost dead and I didn't get good pictures on Monday)
The paradox of insular language
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment