Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!

Friday, July 4th 2008
Today was our last "ministry" day, i.e., the last day of the Women's Conference, Men's Conference, VBS, Building and Hospital. We had fried tomatoes at breakfast. :) I seemed to have a better spirit this morning (Wednesday and Thursday were very difficult days emotionally and spiritually). It was great to hear from Pastor Chibangula, a Northrise University Greek Professor, for the morning devotional. Moffat's words of encouragement were helpful too. Doreen Zimba spoke at the final session of the Women's Conference. She concluded the discussion of "Living the Forgiven Life" with an image of a bucket pierced with holes representing us and our brokenness, all our hurts, and lit a candle in it to show how the Light of Christ shines through our brokenness. Praise God. Our last small group discussion went well, very challenging about forgiving those who are unrepentant, and confessing "secret sin." We were all challenged and encouraged. After lunch we worshipped. At the conclusion of the Women's Conference I gave my group the dress clothes I brought (and wore to the conference). Then Ann and I went shopping. Then Lisa took me to the bakery and treated me to a Coke and donut. Then I went to the Quick Save market with Karyn & Jamie and a few NU Students for ice cream. Before dinner Moffat had a surprise for us. Three of the NU students from the choir sang the United States' National Anthem, another student marched in with a US flag, and another came in with a cake that read "Happy Fourth of July!" We had hamburgers and french fries and hot apple pie! I have never heard the National Anthem sung so beautifully! What a great 4th of July!
Tomorrow we 'debrief' about our experience. I won't say it to anyone except my friends to whom I've already whined, but all the smoke in the air her is really disappointing. It's all I smell here except for the occassional whiff of trash or BO. :) Sigh. I am really longing for fresh air.
But really.
This has been a good experience. I was saddened by the amount of spiritual warfare I encountered but rejoice in the victorious God! I am amazed at the 'success' of the Women's Conference evidenced in transformed lives. I know that the women of Ndola could replicate this opportunity again all on their own. They are so very capable and have so many spiritually mature leaders and speakers who could facilitate the whole thing. I would like to support that kind of effort instead of leading another small group.
I rejoice in the opportunity for the NU Students to experience Mapalo, MacKenzi, Arthur Davidson, the Land, the Women, and the Pastors. I pray that they continue these connections throughout their time at NU.


Tomorrow is our last full day in Ndola. We'll have a concert in the afternoon - another ministry opportunity for the community. Praise God!

It's not a great pic, but you can see the American Flag. What a great celebration, we were so honored by our hosts. They treated us so well. Just amazing!

No comments: