Saturday, June 28th - Ndola, Zambia
Am I really halfway around the world in Ndola, Zambia, Africa? This is unreal. The sights and sounds seem almost familiar. Ndola is a border city like Nogales, Arizona/Mexico. As I walk the block around my hotel (the Savoy) I am remembering that Thanksgiving Mission Trip to Nogales years ago. It's not bad, it's just not what I was expecting.
One thing is certainly different, here we get strange looks from the locals, I assume it's because there aren't very many white people here and here we are 109 of us in one group!
From the surface it seems that the need here is much like border-Mexico.
The students at Northrise University and the workers at the hotel are very nice and friendly. I feel comfortable with them.
As we took the bus from Lusaka, Zambia four hours north to Ndola we got to see the countryside of Zambia. On the way, I saw many 'homesteads' or villages. They are so small: brick buildings with grass thatch roofs. Tiny. I was amazed how many people were walking: from where, to where, I wonder. And the ladies and kids with loads on their heads, amazing. I saw many women with babies on their backs, even one young child with a baby on her back (siblings often take care of their little brothers and sisters, I found).
So, at the end of our first day in Ndola, I conclude: I miss my hubby.
Here are some pictures of my room.
The paradox of insular language
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment